
I was doing 12 milers 3 weeks before the Pig, so I know this is doable, especially since I give myself a ramp-up period to rebuild my base. I'm itching to get out there!
I figured out what was going on with my stomach/back pain during the pain - it WAS the ibuprofen. I took a bunch before the start because I was feeling the beginnings of a headache. Apprently, though, Vitamin I is not a good idea before a long run/endurance exercise as it can cause not only dehydration but can also reduce blood flow to the kidneys. The pain I had was unusual - the burning started in my stomach but about mile 9 it was all the way around my torso. I also felt incredibly nauseous which I had not experienced on any other runs. This is so good to know, because I have over-used ibuprofen for years without thinking what I might be doing to my body. I will be much more concious in the future, especially since I am now on HPB medicine which has its own risks associated with endurance sports.
I am a Bengals fan and wear a Bengals ball cap for most of my training runs and even sported a pink Bengals cap during the Pig. I decided, though, that for every marathon I run in another city I would wear a ball cap with that city's football team - it combines my love of football with respect for the city I'm running in. (I will not be running in Pittsburgh anytime soon - no offense to any residents, but I can't bring myself to wear a Steelers cap) Anyway, in the mail today I got the cutest pink Lions cap - it's adorable! It's a truckers cap with pink in front/pink brim with a white logo then a white mesh back with the blue/black Lions logo. I splurged ($5) and bought a Bengals one, too - I thought the mesh would be cooler for the summer (plus I just love Bengals stuff). I wish I was such a good runner that all I thought about was the running and what I wear was just an afterthought, but alas, I am not. I love "stuff", especially if I get a deal, and I love to match. Pathetic, really, but when I got the hats in the mail and saw the blue Lions logo on the back, I immediately thought how perfectly it matches my new running shoes. I'm hardcore like that.
OK, I'm off to attempt to dislodge 10 lbs of gunk in my sinuses then beg Geneva to take a nap.
PS - I need a catchy sign-off phrase...suggestions?
I really like both quotes you left on my blog - thank you :D And I appreciate the cheering! Knowing that someone is out there who believes in me is so important to me :)
ReplyDeleteUgh on the ickness going around your house - I really hope that you all find relief soon.
As far as a catchy phrase - I'm lost lol (Maybe that should be mine O_o)
Sorry to hear about the sickness!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you figured the ibuprofen thing out. They had an article recently in Runner's World about that. It can really give you problems when running! I'm glad I found out about that, because I wouldn't have thought that was an issue.
Get better quickly!!!